Friday, November 25, 2011

Wednesday 11/23: Pies, Pies, Everywhere!

Yes, I slept in late today. I love having no school on Wednesdays! After breakfast, I did several loads of laundry (for the family) and then made a shopping list for all the things I’ll need for the Thanksgiving dinner. Catherine, Margot, and I headed to the supermarket to pick up all the items. We ended up finding almost everything—including cornstarch, soymilk, and allspice!

When we got home, I made four pie crusts and put them in the freezer to chill. Then I started working on the apple pie. Catherine helped me peel and cut the apples and then we put it together and popped it in the oven to bake for a lot longer than normal (due to the bottom of the oven not working very well). During that time, I worked on class preparations for tomorrow and Friday.

When the pie was finally finished, Catherine and I put together the pumpkin pie. It seemed so watery and Catherine was rather worried that it was going to seep through the bottom crust. I figured it’d be okay because I remembered that most of the time pumpkin pies are super watery, but turn out okay. We ended up baking it for over 1 1/2 hours, but it solidified nicely! I just love opening the refrigerator and seeing two yummy pies sitting there…

For dinner tonight, we had green beans with tomato sauce, bread, cheese, and grapes. Catherine thought we should eat light since tomorrow we’ll be stuffing ourselves…good plan!

After dinner, I had to work some more on class preparations (including cutting out autumn stickers to give to the students to decorate their Thanksgiving cards) and I ended up skyping with Kenzie at the same time. It was so great to hear from her as it’s been about 6 months since we’ve actually talked!

Tomorrow’s the big day! Hopefully I can get it all done in time and I really hope that everyone likes the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment