Sunday, November 6, 2011

Saturday 11/5: Handball, Brussel Sprouts, and Spaghetti Sauce

This morning I slept in until 10am and then lied there listening to the rain falling outside. When I close my eyes, I can imagine lying in my bed at home and I can picture the rain falling on the apple tree outside my window…

I had a croissant with nutella for breakfast (hurrah weekend!!) and then headed back up to my room to work on lesson plans for my classes next week. I decided to make a planning sheet for the next eight weeks, so I can start to plan ahead. Of course, so far I’ve just figured out what I’ll be doing next week…

This afternoon I helped Catherine do the grocery shopping (and bought an umbrella!). But, before we could head to the store, though, we had to swing by the gym to watch some of Margot’s handball match.

Photo: Margot is goalie

I’d never seen handball, but it seemed really similar to basketball with soccer goals instead of hoops. It looked fun and really reminded me of when I coached 5th grade girls basketball (Margot’s age)…

I was thrilled to talk with my parents tonight (it’s been ages, since I didn’t bring my computer with me on vacation) and since my host family has free calling to the US, I was able to just use the phone. Super convenient!

I helped Catherine make dinner tonight: mashed potatoes and cooked brussel sprouts (with meat for them). And, the brussel sprouts were delicious! Turns out if you boil them in water with a little milk in it, it makes them taste better. And the melted butter helps as well. :) The mashed potatoes were amazing—she uses a mixer to make them really smooth and she also adds an egg!

After dinner I made my grandmother’s recipe for spaghetti sauce. It took 3 hours to cook, so I kept running downstairs to give it a stir every 20 minutes or so!

Photo: Homemade red sauce!

I think it turned out well…it doesn’t taste exactly like it does at home (probably because I was making a half batch and my ingredients aren’t quite the same here), but I think it’ll still be good. We’ll eat it for dinner tomorrow night, since Catherine doesn’t want to have to cook tomorrow. I would make pesto bread to go along with it, but only Ralf likes pesto, and there's not much point making normal bread when there are always baguettes around here!

Today I received a lovely long letter from Chelsea!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment