Sunday, November 6, 2011

Friday 11/4: Catherine is introduced to the AAA Theatre

My first class today (10-11 yr olds) went really smoothly. They were very attentive and got their work done quickly. I really like that class—they seem genuinely interested in what I’m teaching and they don’t have side conversations throughout the class. I made sure to give them all stickers at the end (you know, the ones that say “Great Job!” and “You Did It!”—I have to avoid the ones that say “A+” because that is slang here for “à plus,” which means “see you later!”…and that wouldn’t make a lot of sense to them) for working so hard.

My next class was the exact opposite: completely unruly, not paying attention, and a lot of students that didn’t complete the worksheet. So exhausting. I ended up writing the most disruptive student’s name on the board (and of course I ended up spelling it wrong…go figure), so that when the teacher came back in the room at the end, she was told and he got in trouble. Perhaps next time he will be better behaved? One can only hope!

In my break after the morning classes, I headed to the market to buy some apples (I want to make an apple pie this weekend). I also stopped at the bank to withdraw some money (I got my first paycheck!!) and at the post office to mail some letters. Even though it was sprinkling, I really enjoyed my walk through town. I just need to buy an umbrella!

In the afternoon I had my younger students, who are pretty well behaved. They just got their English notebooks, so we spent a bit of time (well, probably half the class) getting all their previous worksheets/coloring pages glued into the books and the coloring finished. Whew! Before the next class I’m supposed to make them cover sheets with Big Ben/Statue of Liberty/Australian flag/etc. that they can color (seriously, they do so much coloring here!).

It rained pretty much all day (at some points pouring with lots of wind), so I spent the rest of the afternoon inside. After dinner, Catherine and I watched the AAA Theatre’s production of “The Foreigner.” In my opinion, it’s the best show we ever did. And I was really happy to watch it, although it made me a bit homesick (but kind-of in a good way…) to see everyone and hear people (my parents, Ivy, Lori…) laughing in the audience! Catherine really liked it and said she’d be interested in seeing more of our shows. I’d like to show her The Odd Couple and the Musical Review. ;)


(PHOTOS BY CRAIG VOLPE)



Photo: The Foreigner...trying not to laugh...









Photo: The Amazing Cast!

No comments:

Post a Comment