Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wednesday 2/9: Hearts All Around!

My plan for today was to make Valentine heart cookies for all my students…that’s roughly 165 cookies, plus some for teachers and my host family. So, I needed to go to the supermarket to get ingredients! Since Catherine said she’d be home around 11:30am (and then I could use the car to get all the groceries), I spent the morning relaxing and sorting the candy hearts that my mom had sent me to use as decorations on the cookies!

Photo: Candy hearts from the US!

Catherine briefly skyped me to say that she was running late and wouldn’t be home until 12:30pm, so I ended up skyping with Maria for a while. At 1pm, Margot finally woke up! She’s been sick, so she obviously needed it, but she was really surprised to have slept so late!

I had lunch with Ralf (who had an appointment today, so he wasn’t at work) and Margot, then walked to the bank (and I thought my head was going to explode, it was so cold! 23ºF) to get some money. Since Ralf had returned home, I could use that car to go to the store…unfortunately it was the stick shift. Urgh. Margot wanted to come too, so I had the pleasure of displaying my not-so-spectacular stick shift driving skills. I stalled twice on the way there (luckily not in the middle of the street), but managed to make it home without stalling! She was really cute and supportive, giving me a high five when we got home without me killing anyone.

We spent the afternoon making two batches of sugar cookies, rolling them, cutting them out into hearts, baking them, and then frosting them with pink frosting (powdered sugar mixed with cranberry juice!!) and adding two candy hearts to each.

Photo: Making the dough




Photo: Margot and her heart

It was really fun hanging out, listening to music, and baking together. She really enjoys it and I don’t think she’d done much cooking/baking before I arrived here. Hopefully she’ll stay interested even after I leave!

This evening I went to the gym again with Catherine (and brought a tin of cookies for the teacher, who is letting me attend without paying). This gym is just an empty room and there are yoga mats provided. We spend one hour there, warming up and then doing various forms of sit-ups and other ab workouts. On Wednesdays there is more stretching than crunches, so it felt a bit like yoga! It seems like the hour goes by really fast!

When we got home we ate dinner and then I finished up frosting the last of the cookies that we’d baked. Unfortunately I’m not even halfway there, so I’ll need to do a lot of baking tomorrow so that I can finish for Friday!

Photo: Lots and lots of hearts!

I’m doing my lessons on Valentine’s Day a bit early because next week they are celebrating Carnaval on Tuesday (Mardi Gras) and some of my classes are canceled. It’s okay, though, no one will complain about having heart cookies a few days early! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment