Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday 2/6: Not So Sure About This Teaching Thing…

Margot has a bad cough and it got worse last night, so she stayed home from school today. I walked over by myself and taught a lesson on Valentine’s Day to her class. I gave them some vocab words (heart, love, kiss, hug, friendship, etc.), then we listened to/attempted to sing “L.O.V.E.” by Nat King Cole. That wasn’t a huge hit, but too bad. It’s a classic! And then I taught them how to make really cool Valentine cards that have a hidden message. They were duly impressed with its coolness.

After lunch (during which I watched some Dr. Quinn with Margot, who was taking full advantage of her sick day to get a start on the dvds that Marie-Pierre dropped of for her to borrow of all the episodes of Dr. Quinn), I biked over to the other school. Of course there were occasional snowflakes drifting down, just like last time I biked! It’s like the weather gods are taunting me…

Both classes were exhausting. The problem is that I can’t just kick one problem kid out of the class because it’s most of the kids who all talk, simultaneously, while I am trying to teach. And that makes it tricky because I can’t exactly send 12/14 students out of the room to go see the teacher. I did go talk with the director afterward and he said he would talk to me on Thursday about a possible solution. I hope it actually works!

I biked home, spent about 15 mins watching Dr. Quinn with Margot, and then went over to teach the difficult class. Yeah, not good. And the teacher is even in the room! And she can’t even keep them under control! I just kept looking at my watch and thinking “40 minutes…38 minutes…34 minutes……” until it was over. I was so frustrated and ready to just strangle one of them (luckily I restrained myself).

After tea and a few games of cards with Margot, I taught her how to make the Valentine card that we made in class this morning. Today we both received beautiful Valentines from my mom!! :)

This evening I went to the gym with Catherine! She goes to a 1-hour class on Mondays and Wednesdays and she invited me to come along and see how it goes. So, I was happy to join her and I had a lot of fun. It was mostly older women (we were definitely the youngest ones there), but they were friendly and made me feel welcome. The teacher said I was welcome back whenever I want! And the work out wasn’t too painful or complicated, but it was good for me. And I feel good now! I’m planning to go on Wednesday because they do some different things (tonight we did mostly abs).

Only 7 more days of class until our February vacation!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment