Sunday, February 12, 2012

Friday 2/10: Valentine-ing

This morning I got up early and headed off to my 8:30am class with the 10 year olds. We talked about Valentine’s Day, learned the vocab, sang “L.O.V.E.” (and they actually got into singing it, which was nice), made Valentine cards, and then I handed out the heart cookies! They were all really excited and kids kept coming up to ask me what the messages meant on their heart candies (which was sometimes fine…“Sweet” and sometimes awkward “Marry Me!”).

I went home during my break to get the cookies for my next class and the ones for the other two classes of 10 year olds (because I only have class with them on Mon/Tues, so they hadn’t gotten any cookies). After their recess, I stopped in on the classes and gave out the cookies, wishing them all a “Happy Valentine’s Day!”

Then I headed to the crazy class of 9 year olds…but, the disruptive kid has been taken out of my class for a month because he was being so disrespectful! YES!!! He has to go sit in the back of a different class during the time that I’m teaching English. It was SO nice without him! They took a quick quiz on the days of the week and then we talked about Valentine’s Day, learned vocab, did a crossword puzzle, made cards, and ate cookies! Much better than usual!

The teachers liked the cookies I brought in for them as well, and several asked for the recipe. I really need to translate all the recipes I’ve made here and give them out because so many people have asked me for them!

After lunch I had a Valentine’s party with the 7 year olds in the library. That was really fun!! I taught them the song “Skidamarink” and we sang that a bunch before making really cute heart valentines (I decided that the secret message ones I’d made with the older kids would be too complicated for them) and eating the cookies.

Photo: They're so adorable!


Our little party...

They were really adorable and at the end I got a picture of them all with their valentines and cookies! They even made a little video for my mom, who sent the candy hearts and Valentine stickers!

Photo: Thelma shows off her card and cookie

Saying "THANK YOU" to my mom!

Afterwards I hung out in the staff room with Pablo, just waiting for our next class (1 1/2 hours later). We pretty much just goofed off, me coloring random pictures and him trying to design masks to make with his students for the Carnaval celebration (which is being postponed at the school until after the vacation because it’s supposed to rain on Tuesday and the kids are having a parade in their costumes).

With my last class of the day (the 7 yr olds), I did pretty much the same Valentine’s Day things. And Duyen (the teacher) took some pictures for me during the class…so now I have proof that I’m teaching! That class is always the sweetest and I love teaching them!


Photo: Passing out song lyrics...



Photo: Duyen's class

After class I rested for a bit (I didn’t get much sleep last night) and then went to folk dance. It was really, really cold tonight (about 28ºF) and the building where we dance isn’t really heated. There’s a heater in the corner (where I hung out quite a bit), but not much else! After dancing for 3 hours, I had a headache (I think it might be my sinuses and the cold…I’m planning to go to the doctor on Monday) and I caught a ride with a lady who was going out to get dinner at McDonalds. She dropped me off at home (she knows where I live because she’s the mail delivery person!) and I ate some dinner and watched TV with the family. Hugo and Lucas are home from Germany where they spent 10 days living with host families. In March we will be hosting the two German boys here for 10 days! That’ll be exciting—four adolescent boys in the house!

On TV tonight was the show where the contestants have to sing a song (karaoke) and when the words stop showing up, they have to know the following lyrics. We’ve watched it before (and I like it because that way I learn more well-known French songs!), but this time I actually knew one of the contestants: Emmanuel Moire, the lead from the musical “Le Roi Soleil.” He has a great voice!

I’m so so tired and really happy that it’s the weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment