Sunday, February 5, 2012

Friday 2/3: Nightlife…aka Finally Acting Like A “Normal” 22-Year-Old

This morning I got to sleep in because my 8:30am class was moved to 10:45am because the class I normally have during that time was supposedly on a field trip today. Unfortunately when I got to school, I discovered that I had been misinformed and it was the other “4th grade” classes that were on a field trip and I was supposed to teach. Oh well! Not my fault!

I taught the 10 year olds some food vocab and “I like/I don’t like.” All went smoothly. They were pretty excited about the predicted snow for the weekend. I’m terribly excited, too!!!!!!!!!!

After lunch, I had my little kid classes and we sang BINGO many times, reviewed the days of the week, colors, and I read “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?” to the class that hadn’t heard it yet. Man, those kids are so adorable!

After class, I came home and had tea with Margot and we re-took our European Countries quizzes!

This evening, I actually went out. Like, out to a bar. With friends. WHOA! Well, Emmanuelle (one of the teachers) picked up Pablo and I and we headed to Capbreton (where she lives). After stopping briefly at her house to drop off some stuff, we went to pick up Alison! The four of us went out to dinner at a pizzaria (which was a pretty nice place) where we chatted, ate, and shared a bottle of wine. I really like Emmanuelle and it was fun getting to hang out with her more! After we’d finished our dinner, we went to the bar called “Café de la gare,” which is a very popular spot in Capbreton. It was packed! Most of the time there are loads of people outside, but because it was about 25ºF, everyone who wasn’t taking a smoke break stayed inside. We all got mojitos, which is a drink with rum, lime, mint, and slivered ice. I liked it—and even managed to resist the urge to fish out the ice cubes and crunch them. We got glow sticks in our drinks as well!! (Which, as Emmanuelle discovered, don’t work as straws…)

It was really crowded, but we managed to talk (mostly Emmanuelle and I) about some really interesting things, including politics. Since it’s the election year in France as well, I was interested to find out who she supported as candidate. Turns out that she is far-left and I’d never heard of the person she’s planning to vote for. But, she told me that she had voted for José Bové, so she and I have similar views.

Everyone ordered a second mojito, so I did as well… by the end of it I was definitely feeling the alcohol! For someone who rarely drinks, two mojitos and wine with dinner is A LOT! When it started getting really, really crowded we headed outside and chatted for a little bit before getting really cold and deciding to head home. We dropped off Alison and I hope that she and Emmanuelle will get together sometimes (Alison really doesn’t know many people in Capbreton, so she has no one to do things with there)!

I had an excellent evening and I hope to go out again sometime soon!

Today I got a lovely Valentine’s card from LaDonna! Merci! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment