Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tuesday 12/20: Who Needs Sleep, Anyway?

Sleeeeeeeeepy. Last night was lots of fun, but I didn’t get much sleep… I ended up staying up until 2am after our Christmas party and then woke up at 4am to participate in Sinterklaas at home. However, it wasn’t until 4:30am that I found out the celebration wasn’t going to start until 5:30am. So, I tried to sleep for about 45 minutes before getting on skype. It was so so so much fun to be a part of the fun, despite the fact that I felt like a paraplegic because I had to be turned every time I wanted to see a different part of the room…

We finished at around 8:45am (my time) and I went back to sleep until 11am. I was extremely tired (and feeling rather sick—my head cold is getting worse), but I had been invited to lunch at Bruno’s house at noon. After getting ready (and writing them a Christmas card in what I hope was good French, but who knows…), I walked across town to where he lives. Bruno’s wife, Françoise, and his daughter, Marianne, were there, along with Pablo. We had a delicious lunch and sat around talking until 3:45pm! Françoise served a King’s Cake for dessert—it’s a cake that’s usually served in January, but I was happy to eat it now! It always has a little item in it and if it’s in your piece, you’re the King (or Queen) for the day! And you have to buy the next King’s Cake!

We spent a lot of time talking about teaching and differences between France, Argentina, and the US. I had a lot of fun and they are all really nice! Bruno and Françoise are going to come to the dinner I’m hosting on the 27th for the teachers! I just need to figure out what to make….

Bruno gave Pablo and I rides home and when I arrived, I discovered that I had received mail! A package of my favorite homemade cookies from Aunt Barbara (yay!!!!!!), a book and CD from Maria, and a letter from Tasha! Hurrah! So exciting!

Ralf asked if I was going to want to drive their car while they were gone and I had to explain that I really don’t know how to drive a stick shift. He then offered to teach me. Right then. So, we hopped in the car and I gave it a shot! Yep, I managed to drive around the block about a million times and I’m getting the hang of it! After about a half an hour, Ralf said that I could just keep practicing by myself while they were gone! I think that’s extremely trusting as the only other time (than the half hour today) that I’ve driven a stick shift was about 4 years ago and I was pretty crummy. In any case, my plan is to practice a lot over the vacation so that I will be good enough to drive out on “real” streets when Ralf gets home!

I called my mom and talked until it was time to walk over to the train station to meet Candice!!!! She arrived around 7:50pm and we walked back through town, admiring the Christmas lights. After introducing her to my host family (I successfully figured out which twin was which, although I must admit that it was only because of the shirts they were wearing…), we headed upstairs to hang out until it was time for dinner. We got to have the leftover yule logs for dessert! YUM! I also let Catherine and Candice taste the cookies from my Aunt Barbara (which they loved) while we sat around talking in the evening.

Candice and I stayed up talking until about 1am… it’s so fun to have her here! I’m so glad we get to spend Christmas together!!

Tomorrow is the Winter Ball at home… it’s going to be so sad to miss it, as it is definitely one of the highlights of my year. But, at least I am planning to skype to say hello! (If the internet works in the basement…)

No comments:

Post a Comment