Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Monday 12/12: Not the Easiest of Days…

I had a hard day today. I woke up and my voice was still dying…not a good sign when you have a long day ahead of you. My first class went decently (we sang “Jingle Bells” and learned Christmas vocab) and I was able to return home afterwards and take a nap. I didn’t really get to sleep, but it was good to rest at least.
After lunch, I was absolutely dreading the bike ride to the other school. It had been raining off and on all morning and when it was time for me to leave, it was raining. Since I don’t have rain pants, I taped plastic bags to my thighs—most of the time that’s where it really gets wet.

Photo: My sexy rain "pants"

About halfway there, it started really pouring. So, I got off my bike, opened my umbrella, and started walking my bike. I figured it would be a better way to stay dry. 10 minutes later, the rain slowed to a drizzle and I continued biking.

My first class at the other school (7 yr olds) went okay…I only had to write one name on the board. It was fairly simple, we sang, colored, and learned Christmas words. However, my second class was pretty much a failure. I tried to do an activity using “The 12 Days of Christmas” in which they listened to the song and had to fill in the blanks on a worksheet (with “one” “two” “three” etc.). However, most of them couldn’t really hear the words in the song (it wasn’t the best version, really) and the activity bombed. It didn’t help that they weren’t really in a very calm mood and I was feeling ill and couldn’t speak much above a whisper… In any case, I just stopped and we sang “We Wish You A Merry Christmas” (which they already know). I was so so ready to leave.

Luckily, it wasn’t raining on my way home and I had time to rest for about 20 minutes before I had to go teach again. It was a failure as well. I was teaching the hardest class (the 9-10 yr olds) and they were super rowdy. They took a test (which was difficult because I have to keep yelling at whoever talks during the test) and then I started teaching about Christmas. However, they just kept talking and talking! The teacher is in the room with me (however she’s a sub for their teacher, who is still sick) and she tried to help, but they were just so chatty! I gave them a warning that if they continued, we would stop talking about Christmas and they would copy numbers. Well, they continued talking and I just stopped, took the pictures off the board, and told them to start copying. Of course it got quiet then! Sigh. Just before the class ended, I told them that I was disappointed in them and that I hoped we could actually have a good class next time. We’ll see…

When I came home, I got to skype with Gabrielle (who I haven’t seen since July!) and Maria! That put me in a MUCH better mood! :)

We had dinner and then I ended up talking with Candice for a while. I’m so excited for all the delicious things we’re going to make when she comes to visit for Christmas!

I’m determined to go to bed early tonight!!

Today I got a Christmas card and present from Mama!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment