Friday, December 23, 2011

Thursday 12/22: “SPLAT!”

After going to sleep around 2:30am, I was very much asleep when my alarm went off at 11:30am! I slept like a log, but when I woke up I was still feeling sick and was really congested.
At 12:50, Candice and I hurried to the train station to catch the train to Bayonne. Upon arriving at the station, who did we find, but Pablo! And he was also headed to Bayonne. So, we figured that we’d hang out together (which also meant we had to speak French instead of English…)!

When we got to Bayonne, we visited the Christmas market again. This time we stopped at the Polish booth and Candice ended up buying a really pretty ring and I got a beautiful pair of earrings!

Photo: Santa and Mrs. Claus

Then we continued around the market and into town. After walking around until about 3pm, I was super hungry because I hadn’t eaten any breakfast this morning.
We searched for a sandwicherie and finally found one with vegetarian sandwiches!





Photo: Amazingly decorated gingerbread cookies










Photo: At the cloister

I munched as we continued walking around, visiting a church (Église St. André) on the other side of the river that I’d never seen before. We also discovered a Mexican restaurant—I can’t wait to go back and eat there!!


Pablo headed off at that point, and Candice and I went on a food spree! She was ready for lunch, so we stopped at a pâtisserie where she bought a slice fancy quiche and we got two mini gâteaux Bretons (one cherry, one cream) to take home for dessert tonight. Then we continued around town and found ourselves back at the Christmas market.
We just happened to notice a stand selling waffles…so we indulged! Each of us had a waffle with nutella and whipped cream, which they piled high!



Photo: Deliciousness!








Photo: Candice with giant waffle!








However, the waffles were warm and the whipped cream started to melt, causing it to become rather slippery… Candice wasn’t paying attention when her blob of whipped cream slipped right off the end of the waffle and landed on the ground with an incredible “SPLAT!” Bummer. I gave her some of mine… ;)

Photo: SPLAT.



Afterwards we still had a little bit of time before our train left, so I took her to the Irish store. I just happened to glance in the little refrigerated section (which I hadn’t previously done because I thought it was only drinks) and I discovered… CLOTTED CREAM! Yep, right there, all this time! So, of course, I bought it. We’ll be making scones in the near future…
We took the train back to Tyrosse and hurried to the bank and grocery store before they closed. After a quick dinner of green beans and tomato sauce, I started the fire and we sat right next to it, working on our computers, talking, and watching a junior cooking competition on TV. It was actually pretty amazing what these 9-11 year olds were capable of making!
Hopefully I’ll be able to sleep without really being able to breathe! My head is so congested!


These people were wandering the streets of Bayonne... we weren't sure what they were doing, but they were fairly entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment