Sunday, December 11, 2011

Thursday 12/8: Sun, Books, and An Observation

Today I woke up to SUN! Hurray! I had one class at the school near me (I taught them Christmas words and ended up drawing some spectacular pictures on the board…and we sang “We Wish You A Merry Christmas”) and then I headed to the other school. Since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to walk there again. It ended up being really warm, with the sun pouring down, and I was sweating with just a t-shirt! It definitely didn’t feel like December…

Photo: My walk to the other school

My first class went okay (we talked about Christmas/sang “We Wish You…”/colored a bit) and then my older class arrived. I told them about my connection with a teacher in the US and how they will be having American penpals in January. They seemed pretty excited about it! About 5 minutes into the class, Paule (the lady from Dax, from the Assistant program) showed up. I had been told that she would be coming NEXT week to observe me teaching, but apparently it was THIS week! Eep. I was totally surprised, but had to just keep going! Unfortunately I was trying to teach them the difference between “one” and “first”, “two” and “second”, etc. by using “The 12 Days of Christmas.” Yeah…it went okay, but wasn’t spectacular. After it was over, she told me that I need to speak a LOT more English because they should be trying to figure out what I say. She said that I’m the one who’s exhausted at the end and it should be the students! (I agree!) Paule also gave me some material (songs/worksheets/lesson plans) to use in my future classes and I will just leave it at the school when I depart. Also, she talked to the director of the school and after winter break I will have 40-minute classes instead of 30-minute classes…which will definitely help!

Afterwards, I walked home and had tea with Catherine. She dropped me at the post office on her way to work, so I could mail a Christmas package. I walked home just as the sun was setting—it was lovely! So nice to not have rain!

I started dinner tonight (Catherine was working late) and afterwards I started reading a book that I received today in the mail!!!! Yep, Maria ordered me “Sorcery & Cecelia” (in English!) online and I got it today! Terribly exciting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment