Sunday, April 29, 2012

Friday 4/27: Goodbye Tyrosse...

Friday was my last day. How bizarre to wake up and think, "This is the last time I'll wake up in this this this house..." I had lots of things to do in the morning (Jessie and I went to the grocery store so we could buy things we wanted to take home/to Tanzania) and at 11:30am we went to Margot's tennis match. She was playing in a tournament in Tyrosse, so we just walked over to watch. It was lucky that it wasn't raining (and there was even a little sun!) for her game. Unfortunately she lost, but she played really well! 
Margot playing tennis

In the afternoon, I had to finish packing and also go to the bank to get all the money out of my account. Jessie made chocolate chip cookies (which turned out really thin and more like chips!) while I was busy with my packing. 
When Margot got home from surfing, we all decided to go in the pool. Actually, Jessie and I were thinking that--since it was finally kinda sunny--it was our last chance to go swimming! After Jessie and I had jumped in, Margot was convinced that she had to accompany us. We spent about a half an hour playing games and jumping in the pool. It was really cold, but still lots of fun!

First ones in!!!

Margot joins us!
Chantal, Philippe, Jeanne, Pierre, and Claire came over around 5:30pm to have tea and say goodbye. We chatted for about an hour and then gave hugs goodbye. Claire had made me a really adorable book of drawings with a goodbye message she had typed up. Clearly she had been working on it for a while (and Chantal told me that she was really sad that I was leaving). I'm gonna miss her, too! 
My favorite girls! :)
For my last dinner, Catherine had made chili (well, we had all made it together the night before)--which was delicious. As dinner drew to a close, the feeling that I was leaving began to hit me. I asked Margot to pass the water pitcher and thought "well, that's the last time I'll ask that." When we'd all finished eating, we gathered for a family photo (taken by a friend of Lucas, who was spending the night). Jessie also managed to get a good pic of Dunja and I. I hurried up to finish packing a few last things--then lugged all the bags downstairs. Earlier I had mentioned to Ralf that I wanted to buy a "TYROSSE" sweatshirt, but he told me that Hugo had one that was now too small for him. So, tonight, Hugo gave me his sweatshirt! It's comfortable and I love it!!
Family time!!! 

My amazing host family

And my host dog!

Jessie and I carried our bags out to the car and Ralf came out to say goodbye (Margot and Catherine were taking us to the station). I gave him a big hug and got all choked up--I couldn't believe it was already time to say goodbye. I told him thank you for everything and that I hoped we'd see each other soon in Oregon. Then I ran inside to say a quick goodbye to the boys. Ralf waved us off and we popped in the "Memories" CD mix that I'd made for Catherine and Margot. It's a mix of a bunch of songs that we'd listened to throughout the time that I lived there. Not surprisingly, I immediately had tears running down my cheeks as "Homeward Bound" (Simon & Garfunkel) began to play. It just got worse as all the songs that held memories of fun times hanging out with them played one after another. I could hear Margot crying, so (without looking at her--we were both studiously staring out our windows) I took her hand and we held hands all the way to the train station. When we were most of the way there, "Vivo Per Lei" (Andrea Bocelli & Hélène Segara) came on and Catherine began to sniffle as well. When "Amazing Grace" (her favorite rendition--sung by "Il Divo" at the Coliseum in Rome) came on, she lost it entirely. 
When we arrived at the train station, Catherine parked and they helped us get our bags to the train. After we'd stuck everything on the train, Jessie and I went back out on the platform to say goodbye. We were all crying (Jessie is a sympathy crier--she lost it as soon as everyone else was crying) and hugging and saying that we'd skype and write and visit... We couldn't help but laugh at ourselves, being all weepy! Catherine told me that it was like seeing her own daughter leave--I have certainly gained another mother. Margot and I squeezed each other tightly and sniffled...I'm going to miss that girl. 
Eventually the train blew its whistle and we had to get on. We waved goodbye and blew kisses as the train pulled out of the station (with Margot running alongside).

No comments:

Post a Comment