Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sunday 10/30: I’m introduced to Blackadder

When I woke up by myself at 7:15am this morning, I was really impressed with myself! Until I remembered that the time had changed, so it was more like 8:15am… Oh well! Since everyone else seemed to be having a relaxing morning, I read for a while in bed (I finished my book, so now I’m reading “Lady of the English”—the book I bought in Glasgow).

For breakfast I had some toast with…..you guessed it! Lemon curd. Mmmm! Grace’s sister & family ate breakfast with us and afterwards, I went with Grace, Charlotte, and Emily to walk the dog. Ben (the dog) is 11 years old and very much enjoys his walks. Today we went through the woods and then around the sports field that is across the street from Grace’s house.

Photo: The field across the street

We watched a young dog chasing a magpie, who was definitely playing with him! The magpie would swoop down really close to the ground, but at the very last second it would fly just out of the dog’s reach. It was hilarious!

Grace’s sister & family left to head back to their home and we had a quiet lunch of tomato soup with toast. I’m so enjoying the food here!!

After lunch, I cut out curtains for Miranda’s bedroom (we’ll sew them tomorrow) and then hung out in Grace’s office while she sewed pouches. This time, Mark and Maria came online so I finally got to talk with people from home!! I also showed Grace the geography quiz I’ve been taking online. It’s pretty basic: you have 15 minutes to type the names of all the countries in the world. Here’s the link in case anyone reading this feels like giving it a shot: http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world And I would like to point out that two weeks ago I got all of the countries with 5 minutes to spare. :D

Tonight we had a delicious dinner (made by Grace) of sausage (the fake kind for me), veggies, and gravy. I was very much intimidated by Kim’s corrections of the girls’ table manners. You see, I grew up eating with a fork—not a fork and knife. So, my left hand is not particularly coordinated and I tend to have difficulty convincing my food to stay on my fork. Most of the time I just hope that no one will notice, but then Kim kept telling the girls not to do this, or how to do that—I just knew he must think my table manners atrocious! Oh well, he was too polite to correct me! For dessert we had more of the French chocolate and, of course, SMURFS!

We all retired to the living room with our tea and watched an installment of the movie, “Merlin,” which was showing on TV. When that had finished, we watched an episode of a TV show about a wacky British family. Then the girls headed to bed and Kim asked me if I’d ever seen “Blackadder.” I said I hadn’t, so we watched two hilarious episodes. I love it!! Of course, with Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie, and Stephen Fry, how could it not be funny??

Tomorrow I’m planning to make an apple pie, so I’m hoping to receive an reply email from my mom with the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment