Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Monday 11/28: Oof.

Today was a hard day. I got up early and my first class went really well. I was working on numbers (1-50) with Margot’s class, so I had them play a game. I split the class into two teams and then had one student from each team come to the board. I would say a number, for example: “thirty-seven” and then the first student to write “37” would win a point for his/her team. It really depended on the student how fast they would get it. It was great because they really got into the game and it was really good practice for them. We also did an exercise where I read a text (given to me by the other English teacher) that gave info about 4 people (where they live, their ages, their telephone numbers, etc.) and they had to listen and fill in a chart about the people. That was hard for them, but good practice.

I had a break after my first class and I was really tired, so I went home and took a 2 hour nap. I couldn’t get to sleep last night, so I was glad to have a break.

After preparing a bit and having some lunch (leftover gratin—yum!!), I biked over to the other school. Unfortunately the bike I normally use had a flat tire, so I grabbed another one and headed out. Bad plan. The seat was super, super hard and was tilted up. Ow. And it was too big for me as well. So, needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable ride!

My classes were EXHAUSTING at the other school. Really. I literally waste so much time trying to get them to listen. I handed back the test that the older class took last week…the grades really varied…there was a 1/20 and a 20/20. Most were around 14-16 (which is good here…a B) and it was generally the kids who don’t pay attention in class that received the bad grades. Typical.

I rode home (ow.) and then I had one more class at the school next door. Unfortunately it was with the worst class: the 9-10 year olds. Their teacher was still absent (without a sub again), so the kids were spread out all over the school. I ended up with 10/23 again. But, they were awful. I tried to play the same number game that I had played that morning with Margot’s class, but they just talked through me, kept switching seats (because there were so many empty spots in the classroom), and doing dumb things. Finally, after fighting through this for 20 minutes, I yelled at them and told them we were finished with playing games and they were to get out their English notebooks and I made them copy the numbers 1-15 (written out). Grrr. It’s ridiculous that I was trying to make the class fun for them and they wouldn’t even just play a game! :(

When I got home from class, I had tea with Catherine and Margot. Catherine had bought a traditional German Christmas bread (mildly sweet with raisins and almond paste inside and lots of powdered sugar on the outside), which was pretty good!

Margot and I walked downtown so I could buy some more postcards at the little store. When we got home, I wrote some postcards and then went downstairs to make dinner.

Photo: Sunset...seen from my bedroom window

Catherine had to work and then go to a City Council meeting (she’s on it) until late. So, she asked if I could make dinner—very simple: quiche (just put frozen ones in the oven) and salad with tomatoes. While the quiche was cooking, Margot and I watched Dr. Quinn and I sewed. Since Catherine wasn’t there this evening to tell Margot to turn on the news at 8pm, we got to watch the whole episode! Haha, I find its sincerity so hilarious…

After dinner, I sneakily shut off the TV and sat myself next to the fire with my sewing. Margot headed to bed and Ralf went into the office to use the computer, so I enjoyed the peacefulness of sitting by a crackling fire and sewing. It was so nice to not have the TV on!! I know that most people are used to it, but I am exhausted of watching it. Sometimes, when it’s an interesting film, it’s okay…but most of the time the programs aren’t even that good! Anyways, I had a nice evening by the fire!

Today I received a package from Aunt An!!! Thank you for the amazing (and very necessary) passport and kitkats!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment