Sunday, February 12, 2012

Thursday 2/9: Cookies, Cookies, Everywhere!

This morning I got up a little early to make worksheets for my classes, but ended up getting to skype with my whole family (who just happened to be up at 1am!). It was so good to see them all together—I miss them!

Marie-Pierre was here this morning to clean the house, so I chatted with her a bit before my class and gave her some heart cookies to take home with her.

My first class was a success—we reviewed “How are you?” and then had a Valentine’s Party! I taught them some vocabulary (love, heart, etc.) and then I taught them how to make the secret message cards and one of the little girls had an older brother in one of my classes, who had already made one. So, I let her show the others how to find the secret message.

Photo: Showing off their cards and cookies

They were really excited by the cards and even more excited by the Valentine stickers and so much more excited by the heart cookies! I made sure to give cookies to the kids who are learning Spanish, because I didn’t want them to come back into the classroom and feel bad that everyone else had treats.

I prepared for my afternoon lessons during lunch and then right as I was about to leave for the other school, I couldn’t find the key to the shed where the bikes are kept! I looked all around, but ended up taking the Volvo because I didn’t have enough time to walk.

My first class at the other school involved a lot of review of the two questions we’ve been working on since pretty much day 1. It’s amazing how slow they are at getting it! They were adorable having conversations using the little finger puppets, though! Here's a video of the kids using the finger puppets!

The older kids took a test today on some verbs we learned and I like/I don’t like, He/She likes, He/She doesn’t like. Some did better than others, but for the most part they got it! Yay!

When I got home, Ralf and Catherine were having tea. Apparently Ralf had forgotten to put the key back and had had it in his pocket! But they said it was totally fine for me to use the Volvo whenever I needed to. I’m glad it worked out!

I hadn’t made enough cookies yesterday for all my classes, so I immediately started work on a few more batches. I made three more (5 total, including yesterday) and when Margot got home from school, she helped me out. I was a MACHINE! I had to take a little pause to drive Margot over to tennis practice (it’s inside at the high school because it’s so frickin cold right now!), but I spent the rest of the evening baking. I had planned to make Indian food for dinner, but we ended up just having something quick because I was really busy with the cookies. It’s fine—I’ll make curry next week!

After dinner I finished the last of the decorating and packaged them all up into containers with the right number of cookies for each class. It was hilarious because there were trays of cookies all over the house! I kept thinking I would forget one and we’d come across it in a few days! :P In the end, I’m pretty sure I made about 200 cookies! Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment