Friday, February 3, 2012

Monday 1/30: European Countries and 3-Pointers!

This morning I taught in Margot’s class and we worked on how to write a letter in English and then we talked about “I like”/“I don’t like” and food vocab. And we re-sang “Old MacDonald!” Most of them did the dance, which was hilarious. It’s always more fun when they’re willing to make fools out of themselves!

During my break, I came home and worked on lesson plans. Lots to do!!

My classes at the other school went decently. With the younger kids we started the days of the week and they are sort-of getting it. There are always some kids who get it much faster than others… In the older class we started the “I like”/“I don’t like” + verb. “I like to play rugby.” The have some difficulties realizing that the infinitive of the verb is “TO dance” and often they say “I like dance” when they are meaning to say “I like to dance.” We’re working on it…

In the afternoon class with the 9 year olds I taught them animal vocab. They had to ask me “What is it?” and I would reply “It’s a giraffe”…or whatever the picture was. And then they would copy down how to spell it. Then I gave them some coloring to do and they stayed relatively quiet. And it helped that the crazy child was sent home early and didn’t attend my class. I’m not sure if it was because he is always so disruptive during my class so he’s not allowed to be there anymore or if it was for another reason? I was happy, though! Unfortunately two other boys got really obnoxious and I sent them out of the room at different points because they were so annoying.

After classes were finished and Margot and I had tea, we both sat down and quizzed ourselves on the countries of Europe. I printed out map quizzes and I try to get them all labeled in the right locations, she just tries to write a list of as many European country names as she can think of. It’s fun because she is getting better—and you can tell she’s starting to think more about where things are located in the world. Afterwards we walked over to the basketball court and shot some hoops. We were both really stoked when I made a 3-pointer during our game of HORSE and then she made it, too! Normally neither of us can make 3-pointers! We played for about an hour and then headed home at dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment