Sunday, December 11, 2011

Saturday 12/10: Bayonne’s Marché de Noël and 2 minutes in Spain!

I really didn’t want to wake up this morning. Luckily I had something fun to look forward to! I heard the buzzer on the gate go off and I figured it was someone for my host family, so I took my time getting dressed and then headed downstairs for breakfast. And discovered Pablo sitting in our living room! Apparently he did want to come to Bayonne—and he arrived at my house 30 minutes early!

Pablo and I were picked up around 10am by Isabelle (the accordion player from the folk dance group) and we headed to Bayonne.

Photo: The Merry-Go-Round in Bayonne...please notice the giraffe that's located behind the dolphin.

There’s a Christmas market there, which consists of about 40-50 little wooden stands that line the bridge and next to the river. We just wandered around looking at their wares…unfortunately only some of them were handmade, interesting items. There were also booths that had been rented by stores selling normal things that you could just buy at the store (purses, t-shirts, trinkets). Everything was super expensive as well!

The best part was a section that had a table from many different European countries. Their items were customary to their country and it was interesting to see what was traditional for each place.

Photo: Hungarian Pastries..mmm! They had free samples!

On our way out of the Christmas market, Isabelle encouraged us to try hot, spiced wine… so, Pablo and I shared a cup, but it was very strong. We both had a few sips and (after he carried it for about 15 minutes) Pablo subtly dumped it in a trash can. I liked the taste all right, but I didn’t really want more than a few sips. However, I am interested in returning with Candice and getting a glass of hot cider!

We wandered around the normal farmer’s market and then had a walk through town (the amazing piano player was there again!). Isabelle offered to take us out to lunch and we headed to a huge shopping center, where there was a cafeteria. I got a “veggie plate,” which allowed me to choose anything I wanted from about 20 different vegetable dishes (and adding rice and noodles).

After lunch, we took a walk through the mall, which was all decorated for Christmas. I (like usual) felt super uncomfortable being inside the mall and declined Isabelle’s offer to look in any of the shops. I was anxious to get outside into the sunshine!

Isabelle then offered to take us for a drive along the coastline, so we could see the amazing views. We were very appreciative, as it’s impossible to do that on the train.

Photo: The beach at St. Jean de Luz

She drove us all the way into Spain (just barely over the border…she took a wrong turn and we passed briefly into Spain) and then we took the coast road back up again.


Photo: The coastline near Spain

It was truly gorgeous! Especially as it was a beautiful day with sun and blue skies! The only downside was that the car was warm and gently rocking me back and forth…I had to try so hard not to fall asleep!




Photo: Coastline near St. Jean de Luz

It helped that we stopped a few times to get out and take pictures! My camera doesn’t do it justice—I really need to get a new camera sometime…




Photo: From here you can see St. Jean de Luz and Biarritz!


We got back to Tyrosse at 4:15pm and Catherine invited Pablo to stay for tea. While we were sitting there, talking, Isabelle showed up because I had forgotten my bag in the back of her car! Oops… So, she stayed for tea as well and we hung out for a while (meaning, Isabelle and Catherine talked while Pablo and I mostly listened).

After they went home, Catherine and I went grocery shopping. I am getting a lot better at knowing where everything is in the store and we are speedy at splitting up and getting everything we need—super fast!

I skyped with Mark before dinner and after dinner I watched a show with my whole host family. It was a guy who imitates famous people and makes fun of political happenings, which was often hard for me to understand. I got some of the jokes, though, which made me terribly proud of myself! He did hilarious interpretations of Sarkozy and DSK!!

And now I will read “Sorcery & Cecelia” until I fall asleep… ;)

Question: Should I change the color of my writing to this? Is it easier to read? Or is it fine the way it is normally?

No comments:

Post a Comment