Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wednesday 3/28: More Beaching

Today I slept in really late (probably because I couldn't get to sleep last night for some reason...) and was back in bed reading when Catherine called to say that her afternoon class had been canceled and we could go to the beach earlier! We had planned to go at 3pm, but instead she wanted to go with Chantal at 1:30pm. So, I went to pick up Alison in Capbreton so she could come to the beach with us (as we were headed to a different beach than the one in her town). Unfortunately there was construction on the road to Capbreton and the detour sent me off in some other direction... I had a fun time trying to figure out how to get around to Capbreton. Luckily I was able to get there (although it took twice as long) and then we took the "Route National" on the way home.
Once again it was a beautiful day! We met up with Chantal and Claire (and some of their friends) at the beach in Seignosse and relaxed on our towels, reading. After a while, I got pretty warm and Margot wanted to go boogie-boarding, so I joined her! Yes, the water was a bit chilly, but not too bad. And we rode the waves for about 45 minutes before it was time to go home.
After tea-time, Catherine brought Alison and I into town so we could look for sunglasses. She told us that if we wanted to get good ones that would actually protect our eyes from the sun, we should go to the shops on main street. I was really planning to get a pair (I've never had one...but that never seemed to matter much in Oregon...), but the cheapest we could find was 30€! Apparently that's a good deal here (most of the other ones were between 80€-130€), but I really couldn't imagine spending that much. I told them that I needed to think about it, but I'm just going to live a little longer without sunglasses. I've been okay thus far...
Alison and I went to the grocery store so I could do the shopping for Catherine. Then, after dinner, I drove Alison back home. It's so weird to have it be light until 9:30pm! I was driving back from Capbreton and it was still light! I actually really enjoy bring Alison home because the Basque radio station plays classical music after 9pm and I get to listen to it while driving through the beautiful countryside! It always makes me think of my Grandpa because I remember he always had the classical radio station playing at home...
It hit me tonight that Jessie is going to be here in Tyrosse in ONE WEEK. What?! I cannot believe how quickly the time is flying by. I always thought "Jessie won't be here until the very end of my time here"---well, here it is. Despite having been homesick at first, I am really happy here now. It's very comfortable and I have really gotten to know people here. It's going to be hard to leave.
When I was leaving Oregon last September, who would have thought I'd end up saying that?

No comments:

Post a Comment