Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday 10/20: Just an average day.

This morning I woke up early (7:45am) when Alison’s alarm went off. I was so tired! We didn’t get to sleep until 2am last night! Even though I didn’t have class until 10:45am, I got up and had breakfast with Alison before she left to teach. Then I did some last preparations for my classes today and just hung out before I had to leave for my class. Jessie happened to still be up (in the middle of the night…), so I chatted with her for a bit online!

I stopped in the staff room to make some copies and drop off the cookies I’d made yesterday. The few teachers in the room were thrilled to try them and everyone liked them (most went back for a second). I headed to my class of CE2s (8-9 yr olds) and today we sang a song, learned a few new words, and did some more coloring. It was the director of the school’s class (he is also a teacher) and apparently it was just what he wanted me to do! Thank goodness… Everything went really smoothly and I tried to speak a little more English this time.

I had lunch at home (some leftovers) before biking over to the other school. By noon it was beautifully sunny, but still pretty crisp. It was a lovely ride and I gave myself plenty of time, so I could really enjoy it.

The classes were much better today. I used the name cards they made last time to decide where they would sit before they came into the classroom—brilliant. Basically I mixed up the girls and boys and made sure to fill up the room from the front, so that no one was sitting in the back tables. It worked a lot better! And I was stricter if they started to get rowdy. Since we hadn’t talked about Halloween, I had them practice saying: “ghost” “witch” “skeleton” “cat” etc. and do some coloring. I made the older kids write down all the words that I gave them before they could start their coloring. And, at the end of each of the classes, I gave them some Halloween stickers, which they really liked.

My second class (the 10-11 yr olds) brought scraps of paper this time and over half of them wanted autographs. One of them even brought three extra papers for his friends and sister. I did my best to explain to them that I was hardly in the movie and no one would care about my autograph, but they kept crowding, so I just signed the papers as fast as possible and sent them on to their next class. Hopefully after the vacation they’ll be over it!

After class, I biked to the grocery store to pick up a few supplies I needed for keeping my school stuff organized and a few things for the people I’m going to visit in the UK (I’m not saying what because they might be reading this!!!). I had a leisurely bike ride home and didn’t really do much for the rest of the afternoon (by then it was 3:30pm).

I helped Catherine make dinner and then watched the news (which was mostly about the death of Gaddafi). But, apparently, Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni-Sarkozy have named their daughter Giulia. It’s not really hyped here, though…more like, casually mentioned.

This evening, Catherine was planning to watch a US TV show called “Desperate Housewives.” I’d heard the name, but didn’t know anything about it. Well, after searching for a while online for a way to watch it, we found the two episodes she was planning to watch. It ended up stopping a lot to load, which was somewhat annoying, but it gave us plenty of time to chat! It’s fun lying in bed, watching movies (or, in this case, a TV show) with my host mom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment