Thursday, October 13, 2011

Wednesday 10/12: The pursuit of tofu and other adventures

I slept in until 10am today, then spent the rest of the morning calculating out exactly how much Halloween candy I’d brought and how it could be divided up between the classes. It’s fairly complicated because I don’t have enough of every kind to give to every student… I’m figuring it out. For the three older classes (60 students total) I am putting together little bags (leftover from Tasha’s wedding!) with three pieces of candy and a Halloween sticker, tied with orange and black ribbon. They look pretty awesome, but my room is a bit of a mess at the moment…

Around noon, Alison finished teaching at the high school and walked over to meet up with me in front of the church. We walked through town and then headed to my house for lunch with Margot and Catherine. It was fun—sometimes we spoke in French, sometimes in English. Alison brought her epic dvd collection (around 50, I think!), so Catherine and I picked out some to borrow. Catherine also lent some to Alison, since Scotland and France are both in region 2 (US is, unfortunately, region 1). After lunch, Catherine, Alison, and I went to the grocery store. I wanted to get ingredients for chocolate chip cookies, scones, and my family’s spaghetti sauce. I’m hoping to do some cooking this weekend! During the time we were at the store, I am proud to say that I recognized 3 songs on the radio! Not too bad!

I was also interested in getting some tofu (it’s been waaay too long since I’ve eaten any!), so I asked Catherine where I could find it. She had no idea what I was talking about and apparently they don’t carry it at the supermarket! Bummer. I did find some good looking veggie burgers, so I’ll have to be happy with that. When we got home, Ralf suggested a different store that might have tofu, so we’ll check there at some point.

We all had tea (except Alison, who doesn’t drink tea) and Ralf came home from work soon after. When he found out that Alison was planning to take a train from Tyrosse to Bayonne (half an hour) and then a bus from Bayonne to Capbreton (20 mins, I think), he said that he could take her back to Capbreton in his car. It only takes 15-20 mins to drive there, so it would be much faster to do that. Catherine then invited Alison to stay for dinner, since she didn’t have to hurry to catch a train. It was extremely kind of them to offer dinner and a ride home—I was so glad she could stay for the evening!

Alison and I helped Catherine make dinner (omlette and salad) and we had a good talk about parenting styles. Catherine’s parents were very strict and would never let her go out, which forced her to lie to her parents if she wanted to ever go out. She doesn’t want her kids to do that, so she allows them a little more freedom, but makes sure they are being safe.

After dinner, Catherine, Alison, and I watched The Princess Bride! We watched it online, so we had to use my laptop and we all lounged on my bed. It was fun sharing it with them (neither had seen it before) and I was happy that they both liked it! Of course, I really enjoyed watching it for the millionth time!!

Catherine and I took Alison back to Capbreton at 11pm, so I didn’t get to bed until almost midnight… luckily I don’t have to get up early in the morning!!

Today…a letter from Mark! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment