Thursday, October 6, 2011

Monday 10/3: I receive mail!!


Today was a fairly normal day: I observed one class of 10-11 year old kids all day. Sometimes it was interesting (when I tried to explain to them our system of measurement…inches and feet completely baffled them), but most of the time it was pretty dull. Especially the times when they were taking quizzes. I ended up writing some letters and dazing off several times. I’m really looking forward to actually having hours and starting to teach. At least I’ll feel like there’s a point in being at the school!

I received my first letters in France!! Today I got a letter from Maria and a letter from my Aunt Barbara! (*Thank you!!!) It’s amazing how much getting mail cheers me up. It’s nice to know that people are thinking of you enough to sit down and write a letter. ;)

Of course we had tea together after school (I love that tradition!), then Catherine, Margot and I headed to Catherine’s work so we could use the internet. I checked my email and ended up chatting online with my mom! I hadn’t had real contact (other than occasional emails) with her in a week. It was really good to catch up a bit. Also, Catherine helped me order a converter on Amazon because I somehow didn’t notice that I’d only packed one for my computer. Which means I have no way to recharge the battery for my camera.

While Catherine and I were working on computers, Margot did her homework…then got bored and ended up drawing me a picture of giraffes to put up in my bedroom! (I brought giraffe drawings from the US that people have given me, so I could decorate my room.) She’s adorable!

We had pizza for dinner, then I watched a show on TV with Catherine. It was a documentary about midwives—I found it very interesting. It showed some different situations they find themselves in and how they deal with them. The most interesting was a deaf mother, who wanted to have the baby without pain killer. There was a midwife who was signing to the mother, but sometimes the mom was in so much pain she would close her eyes—which meant they couldn’t give her any directions! It was tricky, but everything worked out alright.

We also watched a documentary about weddings, which was crazy. The amount of money some people spend on their weddings is absolutely nuts. One of the couples wanted a “Hollywood” wedding, and the bride seriously looked like a cake. The whole thing was pretty disgusting, actually. I only watched some of that show, then went to bed.

It was fun hanging out with Catherine, though, because during the commercial breaks (there aren’t as many here, but there are some) we talked about her life. She told me about being pregnant and having her twins and Margot, and all about her wedding. She had a simple wedding (it was while she was pregnant with Margot) with a good celebration with all her friends and family. She agreed with me that the weddings on the show were ridiculous.

No internet yet, but I can kind-of get a signal on my laptop if I dangle half-way out my second story window. Makes it challenging to write emails, but it’s better than nothing!!

ADVERTISEMENT: If you want to write to me (I promise I will reply), here’s my address again:

Natalie SULLIVAN

Chez M. et Mme. BERGFELD

2 rue des Arènes

40230 Saint Vincent de Tyrosse

FRANCE

No comments:

Post a Comment