Thursday, September 22, 2011

I have arrived.

Here I am. Back in France, once again. Although it was extremely hard for me to leave Corvallis this time, I am determined to have a fun and exciting experience in France. I can already tell that I will learn a lot and grow much stronger... especially trying to lug over 100 pounds of luggage through the metro.
My flight was long, but uneventful (exactly as a good flight should be). We landed in Iceland just as the sun was rising (beautiful!!) and the layover was just enough time to walk from the plane, through security, and onto the next plane. Someday I'd love to spend some time exploring Iceland--it seems like an intriguing place.
Coincidentally, a friend from Corvallis happened to be taking the same flight to Paris! Lucy and I didn't get to sit next to each other, but it was nice to have someone to hang out with during the layovers! And we had fun trying to lug our bags up and down the Paris Airport escalators! However, she had (wisely) booked a hotel at the airport for the first night, so while she got to stay there, I had to trek all the way across Paris on the metro. And the funny thing about bags with wheels is that they don't do so well going up stairs. By the time I made it up a few flights carrying my 35lb backback, a ~20lb bag on my front, and a 50lb bag in my arms, I thought I was going to pass out! Needless to say, I was overjoyed to finally arrive at my hotel.
I am spending a few days in Paris before heading down to Saint Vincent de Tyrosse (where I will be living until the end of April). While in Paris, I will be helping out at the Paris Knife Show! A close friend of my father, Ed Schempp, is a knife maker who is selling at the show, along with many of his friends. I will be minding a table in return for a lovely hotel room, meals at the best French restaurants, and excellent company! The show is 9/23-9/24, so I will stay in Paris until Sunday.
Today (after FINALLY getting some sleep!) I accompanied Ed and two of his friends to their friend's house for lunch. Patrick lives in Paris and is an expert knife sharpener. He sharpens knives for the best restaurants in Paris-- and is a great cook! He made us a delicious lunch (including 5 bottles of wine) and entertained us with many good stories. His wife makes beautiful necklaces, which she was nice enough to display for us. We spent over four hours sitting around the table, drinking wine and chatting. It was interesting for me to listen to the conversations between Patrick and his wife (in French)--I'm pleased to say that I could understand mostly everything they were saying!

If anyone would like to write to me, I can receive mail at the school where I will be teaching! In November I will get an apartment (I will live with a family until then) and I will post my updated address then. If you write to me, I promise I will write back! I love getting real letters!

Natalie SULLIVAN
École des arènes
15 rue des écoles
40230 SAINT VINCENT DE TYROSSE

1 comment:

  1. It took me a while to check out your blog. It seems between work, flu and fun time just slips away.

    How exciting that you're in France until April. Craig and I will be in Spain for 3 weeks starting mid-March. It would be a hoot to see you, although I'm not sure that's realistic.

    I hope you're having a great time!!

    ReplyDelete